Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Sidecar FAQ -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sidecar dolly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Sidecar FAQMessage format

Baffler1
Posted 3/9/2011 5:40 PM (#56544)
Subject: sidecar dolly

Has anyone here built or have instructions on how to build a sidecar dolly? I have some ideas, but experience or instruction would be ideal to have before starting this project. Thanks for any help
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 3/9/2011 9:09 PM (#56547 - in reply to #56544)
Subject: RE: sidecar dolly

Baffler1 - 3/9/2011 4:40 PM Has anyone here built or have instructions on how to build a sidecar dolly? I have some ideas, but experience or instruction would be ideal to have before starting this project. Thanks for any help

There are a lot of them on ebay all the time.  I have a set of Motorvation dolly wheels, I kept them when I sold mine, thinking I could adapt them to something else.  The best one I've seen started out as a wooden furniture dolly.  Basically a 2x4 frame with a caster on each corner.  With one of these, you can adapt it as you need.  Get a second one for under the sidecar tire and you'll be able to roll the sidecar away from the mounts or back to them by yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/URAL-SERVICE-CART-side-car-sidecar-also-DNEPR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f8261873QQitemZ300515989619QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL-CRADLE-use-side-car-sidecar-service-cart-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f811d7e5QQitemZ300514662373QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VELOREX-SERVICE-CART-side-car-sidecar-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f83cf83fQQitemZ300517488703QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hack'n
Posted 3/9/2011 9:49 PM (#56548 - in reply to #56544)

We used to build 3 different types from square tubing and casters and sell them for $99.00, but Harbor freight has so many dollys for a lot cheaper than we could make them. So we use some of ours and some of theirs' these days.

Lonnie
crawf
Posted 3/11/2011 7:50 AM (#56567 - in reply to #56544)
Subject: Re: sidecar dolly

I just use an old disguarded skateboard from my neighbours trash with a 2 X4 screwed to the top of it,..a couple of spring clamps holds things in place while I load it into my toy hauler, or "skate it" around my shop,...hehe crawf.
Peter Pan
Posted 3/12/2011 9:00 PM (#56604 - in reply to #56544)

I`d love to take a dolly and mount 3 old beadle scissor jacks for catching height for the rig or other jobs.
But never had any urge for it. The 3rd wheel stays on the bike or is resting somewhere in a corner.
Now it depends on young miss (my daughter) whether she wants the sidecar or only the solo.

Meanwhile I play with the Enduro and wait for the engine to run in before it gets a 3rd wheel too.
Hit out into the night....
Sven
gnm109
Posted 3/13/2011 11:47 AM (#56611 - in reply to #56604)

Several years ago, I built a sidecar dolly and matching sidecar skate to hold the frame and sidecar wheel when the sidecar is removed for some reason. I used 1-1/4" square tubing and 1/4" plate. I MIG welded it together. The threaded rods on the dolly are 5/8-11 thread and they can be set to hold the sidecar frame on the portion near the bike. The skate is put under the sidecar wheel using a jack.

Once the dolly and skate are under the sidecar, it's very easy to roll it out of the way for storage. All of the 2" rubber wheels swivel so that they can move in any direction.

My units are designed for a Harley sidecar but with some modification, they would work on any sidecar. Cost to build was no more than about $40 with the wheels and tubing.

Here are pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket
SidecarMike
Posted 3/13/2011 12:13 PM (#56613 - in reply to #56544)

Nice photos, Gaylord.  Thank you.
Baffler1
Posted 3/13/2011 12:51 PM (#56617 - in reply to #56611)

that is a really nice job you did!
gnm109 - 3/13/2011 11:47 AM

Several years ago, I built a sidecar dolly and matching sidecar skate to hold the frame and sidecar wheel when the sidecar is removed for some reason. I used 1-1/4" square tubing and 1/4" plate. I MIG welded it together. The threaded rods on the dolly are 5/8-11 thread and they can be set to hold the sidecar frame on the portion near the bike. The skate is put under the sidecar wheel using a jack.

Once the dolly and skate are under the sidecar, it's very easy to roll it out of the way for storage. All of the 2" rubber wheels swivel so that they can move in any direction.

My units are designed for a Harley sidecar but with some modification, they would work on any sidecar. Cost to build was no more than about $40 with the wheels and tubing.

Here are pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket
gnm109
Posted 3/13/2011 3:10 PM (#56626 - in reply to #56617)

Thanks for the notice. It's best to think in terms of two units: one for the inner portion of the sidecar frame and the other for the sidecar wheel. The "skate" unit that I have for the wheel would work on any brand of sidecar. The other part, the "cart" would fit most cars with some modification. All that's necessary is to make it low enough to roll under the hack when it's installed and yet be able to lift a bit beyond that level.

For those of you who may wish to purchase something ready made, there's a fellow who sells them on eBay. (No commercial or personal connection).

Happy Trails.

Edited by gnm109 3/13/2011 3:10 PM
Phelonius
Posted 3/20/2011 9:47 AM (#56750 - in reply to #56544)

Now this, Is a real sidecar dolly.

Phelonius
Baffler1
Posted 3/20/2011 9:54 AM (#56751 - in reply to #56626)

gnm109 - 3/13/2011 3:10 PM

Thanks for the notice. It's best to think in terms of two units: one for the inner portion of the sidecar frame and the other for the sidecar wheel. The "skate" unit that I have for the wheel would work on any brand of sidecar. The other part, the "cart" would fit most cars with some modification. All that's necessary is to make it low enough to roll under the hack when it's installed and yet be able to lift a bit beyond that level.

For those of you who may wish to purchase something ready made, there's a fellow who sells them on eBay. (No commercial or personal connection).

Happy Trails.

thanks - i found the ones on ebay & bought - not quite as sturdy looking as yours, but should do the job
Pat Huey
Posted 4/13/2011 3:36 AM (#57284 - in reply to #56544)

Not sure if these pics will load or not, but I bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly for about $39 bucks, just because it looks like it can easily be adapted as a sidecar dolly. It is all metal and very secure. Never pulled the sidecar though to try it out, so I have not adapted it to see how well or how badly it may work.

The homemade dolly in last pics looks easy enough to make.
sidecar ural motorcycle Troyka
sidecar Ural motorcycle Troyka
sidecar motorcycle Ural troyka
sidecar Troyka Ural motorcycle
motorcycle Ural Troyka sidecar
sidecar Ural motorcycle Troyka

Edited by Pat Huey 4/13/2011 4:02 AM
RogerE
Posted 5/22/2011 7:48 AM (#58023 - in reply to #56544)

Baffler1 - 3/9/2011 5:40 PM

Has anyone here built or have instructions on how to build a sidecar dolly? I have some ideas, but experience or instruction would be ideal to have before starting this project. Thanks for any help

You will need a dolly that goes under the sidecar wheel, and another dolly that supports the inboard (bike) side of the sidecar. For the dolly that goes under the wheel, I bought a wheel dolly from Harbor Freight, U.S. General Model 67287. It is under $100 and works great. For the inboard side, I bought two 5" casters at Lowes and mounted them to a piece of 2x4. Many others have included photos in this thread of similar setups. Attached is the instruction sheet for the wheel dolly.

Edited by RogerE 5/22/2011 7:49 AM

(Sidecar Dolly Instructions.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sidecar Dolly Instructions.jpg (697KB - 13 downloads)
Hack'n
Posted 5/22/2011 2:41 PM (#58032 - in reply to #56544)

Here's a couple of mine. One for whel off cars. The other adjustable for wheel on cars.

L.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sidecar Dolly-1.tif (1954KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments Sidecar Dolly-2.tif (2030KB - 58 downloads)
Attachments Sidecar Dolly-3.tif (1842KB - 49 downloads)
IndianDrives
Posted 11/5/2011 2:01 AM (#61355 - in reply to #56544)

I designed a sidecar dolly and related sidecar skateboarding to carry the structure and sidecar rim when the sidecar is eliminated for some explanation. I used 1-1/4" block lines and 1/4" menu. I MIG welded it together.

Maruti Swift

sparrowhawkdesign
Posted 12/5/2011 8:00 PM (#61860 - in reply to #56544)

I built a couple of stands that allow me to roll the sidecar around while installing or taking it off for maintenance. The bike stand also allows me to secure the bike with preloaded suspension as if the rider was on it and the appropriate amount of lean. The straps wrapped around the driver pegs or the frame hold the bike secure and the stand also lifts the bike off of the floor slightly. I'm getting too old to be crawling around on the floor like I used to.
The sidecar stand is adjustable every which way and so far has let me use it under any sidecar I have installed. The best part is that it allows me to position the sidecar beside the bike, determine which parts are needed for attachment and their approximate length and position, and then roll it away from the bike while attaching them to the sidecar frame without interference with the motorcycle. I can then roll the sidecar back to its location beside the bike and do the final small adjustments needed much easier. Once the sidecar is attached I lower the stand and roll it out from under the sidecar and replace it with just a wheel stand. I can now easily slide under the sidecar with a creeper and torque the mounting bolts that are hard to reach from the top.
The only small drawback is that I have to have the rig back up on the stands to remove the sidecar but that has not been a problem so far. The bike will usually drive up onto the stand and a floor jack allows me to lift the sidecar for placement of the second stand. B

(104_6160.JPG)

(104_6159.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 104_6160.JPG (974KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 104_6159.JPG (903KB - 2 downloads)
Hack'n
Posted 12/5/2011 9:18 PM (#61863 - in reply to #56544)

Hi Barry,
Welcome aboard!

Lonnie
sparrowhawkdesign
Posted 12/5/2011 9:42 PM (#61865 - in reply to #61863)

Hi Lonnie. Thanks for the welcome. Been far too long since I was a USCA member so I plan to fix that. Wish I had more time over the weekend. I did a round trip to Pocatello to drop off a rig and would have dropped in to see you if I had more time. Left here Sat. morning and was back in time for breakfast Sunday. No problem sleeping after that. LOL Barry
SwampFox
Posted 12/5/2011 9:51 PM (#61866 - in reply to #61865)

sparrowhawkdesign - 12/5/2011 9:42 PM
... Been far too long since I was a USCA member so I plan to fix that....Barry

Welcome back Barry.  Mighty crafty set-up you have there. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software