Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We sleep soundly in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf." -Winston Churchill-
- (Added by: Wiskers)

heavy steering and shocks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 5/25/2004 10:06 AM (#3581)
Subject: heavy steering and shocks

I am new to sidecars.

I have an older Motorvation Royale sidecar attached to a Heritage Softail.
toein is about 7/8"
lean out is very minimal if any.
It seems as though the steering takes alot of effort. Any possible options to try and reduce the effort?

It has a Air shock. I think it is a "Progressive Suspension Magnumatic adjustable air/spring shock" I need to know the max PSI it can hold?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JayDauntless
Posted 5/25/2004 11:59 AM (#3582 - in reply to #3581)
Subject: RE: heavy steering and shocks

To reduce steering effort you need to reduce trail on the front of the bike. To reduce trial the front wheel needs to move forward. This can be done several different ways. Leading link front ends, different triple tree's, On springers we change the lower rockers. There are many other ways to go it all depends on you budget, how you are going to ride the bike and your preference for styling.
We also have automotive tires that fit right on the stock Harley rim, These tires I have been told help a little on the steering effort but most likley not significatly. They do however help with ride quality, tire life, braking traction and fuel milage. They are called twin tires and sell for $95 each.
For your bike we also have a real engine driven reverse gear.
If your sidecar does not have electric trim adjustment this can also be added. This trims the alignment for road and load conditions. I added this to my brother in laws Coupe royale and it worked out well.
Let me know if I can be of help
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
253-638-1793
Hack'n
Posted 5/25/2004 1:24 PM (#3585 - in reply to #3581)
Subject: RE: heavy steering and shocks

Expert

Check your sidecar tire wear pattern to see if your toe-in is letting the car track neutrally (wear showing on one side or the other from dragging sideways).
Unloaded, the bike may not show any lean-out and still be setup OK. Does it pull to the right on a straight road at a steady speed? If so you need more lean-out.
You can check with Progressive but I think your shock maxes out at 90psi. About 60psi should be enough for normal use.
Jay has most of the rest covered.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software