Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory. I forget the other two..
- (Added by: dave)

new wannabe sidecarist from cajun country
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 5/25/2004 4:05 PM (#3587)
Subject: new wannabe sidecarist from cajun country

Hey,
I am Danny; secretary of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club Acadiana Chapter. Am eager to take my black lab riding with me, . Being as I am wanting to sell my Triumph Bonneville and get another bike/sidecar rig, I have questions:
#1) There is a Ural dealer down here in Lacombe, LA. Would one run at interstate speeds? If not at first, could I tweak it so that it would?
#2) If not at all, I am used to 650-900 cc bikes, being a small man. I am thinking something along the lines of a 650 Vstar, 750 Nighthawk, Vulcan, Intruder, or an older BMW (the ones that look metal and not all sportbikey) if the Ural won't get me cross-country. Ya know, a mid-sized cruiser with a Velorex 562. What makes/models do y'all recommend to go with this? And what's the most efficient way to get the Velorex once I have sold the Trumpet, bought new bike, and saved sidecar capital?
"Little Dog" longs to go trippin' with her daddy. Thank y'all in advance for your replies and all your help!
Respectfully,
Southern Cruiser Danny

Edited by scrcdanny 5/25/2004 4:06 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 5/26/2004 5:13 PM (#3602 - in reply to #3587)
Subject: RE: new wannabe sidecarist from cajun country

Expert

Danny,
I'm not that familiar with the new URAL 750s but the older URALS won't cut freeway speeds for long, if at all.
The bikes you mentioned will all take a Velorex nicely, in the cc range you mention. Including your Trump. There is a heavy duty suspension option for the 562 on some of the larger bikes.
On all but the Beemer the Velorex can be owner installed without a sub-frame being needed, or a steering damper.
One of the best buys out there right now is the Suzuki Volusia 800. '03s are available for cheap and they look good accept a sidecar well and make a great tug. Big bike look with a small bike price.
As for a dealer to work with on a Velorex, naturally I would have to recommend ME, or at least one who has had a lot of hands on experience with the Velorex products. Installing, aligning and fabricating (when needed). That way if you have any problems or questions after the sale they can (or should be able to) walk you through it. There are a few boiler room operations around that sell the Velorexs and if the customer has any problems they have no idea what to do because they have never even seen one personally, let alone installed or driven one. Make sure the dealer you choose offers valid technical support after the sale.
We have customers in Maine, Florida, Alaska, Guam, Korea and OZ, so we ship all over.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Posted 5/27/2004 7:54 AM (#3613 - in reply to #3587)

Hey:
I appreciate your reply. My Triumph would be ok, but it is sky blue and silver. Don't know how to paint, and don't know about the possibility of sidecar in that color. Hopefully, I can sell my bike for the good price I am asking soon, buy a good used bike for cheap, and set about getting the sidecar. If the Ural won't cut it.
Thanks again, Danny

Posted 6/23/2004 4:07 PM (#3887 - in reply to #3587)

Check E-bay. That's where I found my sidecar. Saw some Velorex and a Texas brand over in Dallas on E-bay last week.

Putting a Harley Ultra on a Road King Classic so I can ride my bike again. (Bad knees! No biscuit!) Added joy will be taking my cattle dog along. Gonna take off the luggage rack and make a roll up boarding ladder so she comes up the back instead of jumping the bike or the car's wheel. That way baby doesn't fall and get scared. Also going to put a fold-down padeye in the bottom for her seatbelt to hook to. She loves bikes, but since she got too big to fit in the front of my jacket, she's had to stay home.

You're right down the road from us here in North Alabama. Maybe I'll see you on the highway. Look for the black rig with the blue dog and the blue soft-tail.

Posted 6/24/2004 10:39 PM (#3898 - in reply to #3587)

Sounds like you need a hack like mine. I have a 2000 W650 Kawasaki with a Velo 562 and a unit front end. Complete with steering damper and painted two tone blue/silver to match. I think there is a picture of mine somewhere around here, if not go to the SCT list on yahoo and look in the pictures section.. I know there is one there from just after I bought it.. I love it.. It's light but heavy enough and handles well. good luck!!

JB

Posted 6/27/2004 6:55 PM (#3925 - in reply to #3587)

My Ural sidecar goes down the highway at 70+ mph easily. I use a Guzzi 1100 Stone for my tug. Great set-up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software