Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Have you ever noticed that a slight tax increase costs you $200 and a substantial tax cuts saves you 30 cents?

What sidecar would work with a Honda Shadow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

cableguy344
Posted 5/27/2004 2:10 PM (#3617)
Subject: What sidecar would work with a Honda Shadow

New User

I am wondering if my 750Ace is big enough to handle a sidecar. I was looking for something in the style of the Spyder by Motorvation (i think that is the company) Does anybody have some suggestions or advise. I'm in Northern Indiana
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 5/27/2004 3:31 PM (#3618 - in reply to #3617)
Subject: RE: What sidecar would work with a Honda Shadow

Expert

We have put all model Velorexs with and without the H-D suspension option on them with good feedback from the customers. For best results there is a variation of the mounting from the Velorex Handbook that we use.
We have also installed the all steel Bavarian Classics (think URAL) with good results as the 750s are the largest bike available as OEM. The Japanese cruisers have much more pulling power than the stock boxers do so even the 650s will handle the heavier steel cars well.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

cableguy344
Posted 5/27/2004 9:21 PM (#3622 - in reply to #3618)

New User

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into those. Is installing something that I could do or is it better to have a professional install it.
Hack'n
Posted 5/28/2004 2:53 PM (#3627 - in reply to #3622)

Expert

Self installation is not that hard for one who is handy with tools and can follow instructions. Difficulty depends on which sidecar you choose. For some installations a welder is needed to modify the factory sidecar mounts. Seldom is any welding needed on the motorcycle frame. Fabricating skills are handy to have on some installations. Some cars simply bolt on and align. Some need assembly.
The average motorcycle dealer has never installed a sidecar in their shop. I don't know about sidecar professionals in your area, but there are a lot of hackers in Indiana who have installed their own with good results.
JayDauntless
Posted 5/31/2004 7:37 PM (#3668 - in reply to #3617)

We have mounted a few sidecars to these bikes. One thing we have found that you will need to do as the main frame section is so short on this bike is to make a sub frame to move the rear lower mount aft of the main frame of the bike. I have seen some of these bikes where the sidecar was just clamped on and the lower mounts were only 7 inches apart. This makes for poor triangluation and tends to flex.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
cableguy344
Posted 5/31/2004 8:47 PM (#3670 - in reply to #3668)

New User

Thanks for that information. I know the main frame ends just behind the engine, but didn't know that would have an effect on anything. It looks like it would be best for me to find someone close by that installs sidecars and get some more information about this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software