Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride
- (Added by: dave)

Flex Velorex sidecar on a GL650I Silverwing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

johnW
Posted 6/26/2011 9:22 PM (#58680)
Subject: Flex Velorex sidecar on a GL650I Silverwing

Last year I read up on a flex conversion that Mr Kramer did on his own and it got me interested enough to try my own.

I have uploaded the pictures of the installation on www.photobucket.com/flexsidecar. (http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/Johnarsenault/Flex%20sidecar/)

I am still learning to appreciate the change but this is what I have found so far:

The rig still pulls to the right on acceleration and pushes to the left on decel but I do prefer the flex ride to the ridgid one.

To minimize pull/push, I had to move the rear attachment inboard from the centerline.  This forces the bike to lean outwards and compensates partially for right drag from the car.  The more weight in the car the more lean required on the bike which self adjusts to a point.  I currently have 1.25" inboard offset and probably could handle a bit more.

I have ridden around 1600 km to date (1000 miles) and have also had to add a trail adjuster nut to keep the toe in fixed.  I had originally relied on the pinch tube but found it to tend to slip under operation.

I have found that right hand turns are limited by the presence of the sidecar.  This setup has pushed the sidecar away by abount 2 inches from original but I can easily lean into the car on sharp right hand turns.  I will probably have to work on lowering the car next winter.

I had put an electric lean on the car but find no use for it with the flex.

The missus was surprised at first with the lean particularly when I was leaning in and out around roundabouts, but now says it is a better ride.  The sidecar transmists less road noise to the bike and vice-versa

I will certainly add comments as I continue to discover this new ride.

Edited by johnW 6/27/2011 7:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
punkozuna
Posted 6/27/2011 12:28 AM (#58685 - in reply to #58680)
Subject: Re: Flex Velorex sidecar on a GL650I Silverwing

Interesting. I'd have never thought of offsetting the pivot from centerline to compensate for the push/pull of a sidecar.

I'm also curious if leaners have the same tire wear issues that regular hacks have.

There are two equaleans for sale within driving distance of where I live. Prices aren't bad either.

Edited by punkozuna 6/27/2011 12:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software