Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Don't talk about me, talk to me
- (Added by: ccridr)

Hack'd Magazine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

MikeS
Posted 6/23/2004 1:57 PM (#3881)
Subject: Hack'd Magazine

Regular

Is there a phone number or contact that works, for Hack'd magazine? I've come up with dead links and disconnected phone number. I'm looking for a rig, and I want to get a subscription to Hack'd and browse the want ads. Any other good resources for used bike/rigs? I've watched this site, as one resource.

MikeS
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 6/23/2004 2:58 PM (#3883 - in reply to #3881)
Subject: RE: Hack'd Magazine

Expert

Try Chris at hackdmag1@sbcglobal.net
Hack'n
Posted 6/23/2004 3:05 PM (#3884 - in reply to #3881)

Expert

Woops,
Chris will probably be at the Nat'l. USCA Rally till Sunday so try later next week.
What kind of rig are you seeking?

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Edited by Hack'n 6/23/2004 3:05 PM
MikeS
Posted 6/23/2004 10:27 PM (#3889 - in reply to #3884)

Regular

Lonnie

Unfortunatly, I can't make it to Bean Blossom. I was at the Skunk rally, and I found a lot of helpful information from the folks attending.

I am looking for a rig that I can do some serious solo riding with. I have a slot in Iron Butt Rally 2005, but my entry is contingent that I pilot a rig. I haven't owned a rig since the early '70's, so I'm a rookie again. I'm looking for resources.

Possibly I'll use my R1150RT oilhead as a hack mule, or find a used ready to go rig. At present, Honda ST1100, Kawasaki Connie, or BMW are attractive as a hack mule, but Gold Wing is also a consideration. I don't like huge bikes like the Wing, but then, for a sidecar, I might reconsider. Most of these bikes have lousy frames for a hack, and require significant subframes. EML set up seems a good way to go, but I'm open to more expert advice on other set ups. I've talked to Motorvation and Hannigan, and I've talked to EZS and Armec. There's a lot of pride and confidence expressed by most of these four manufacturers, each expressing their superiority in various ways. Cost is a concern, $7 to $8k probably, but quality of rig and ease of handling is critical. I'm not yet positive the cost of a new EZS on my RT is something I can afford, nor that it's something I want to commit my RT to. I'm experienced as a two wheel rider in Iron Butt type rides and rallies, but I do need to find a rig by this winter and get some miles on before August, 2005.

What do you think? Any good resources you can pass on?

I must add, a large, two person sidecar is not what I need. I'm looking for something with some performance. EZS Rally is a very attractive rig. Motorvation Spyder is attractive, but I'm concerned the profile of the tub might add wind lift to the third wheel. The Hannigan Classic seems to not have the potential wind lift that the Spyder might have. And Armec, well, I can't get much information from them, and I asked the gal about the leaner and their Tremalo I. Armec probably is out of my budget, but they won't give any estimated or preliminary cost information. deposit.

MikeS

Edited by MikeS 6/23/2004 10:41 PM
Hack'n
Posted 6/24/2004 11:37 AM (#3891 - in reply to #3889)
Subject: RE: Economical tugs

Expert

Mike,
I would think the 1100 Honda or the Connie would both be good choises pricewise. As for the hack MFGs. you mention; Armac on the high end, seems to have somewhat a reputation (from what I gather) of leaving you on your own. Motorvation however, on the lower end of the price scale, will be with you from the git go with factory support. I haven't dealt with Hannigan or EZS and haven't heard of any major complaints so have no input on them.
The M/V Spyder is rock solid at over over a ton without any noticable lift.
I ran one on a Turbocharged RK for several years with zero problems. I wish I had it back now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software