Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When the only tool one has is a hammer...Everything looks like a nail.
- (Added by: DAVE)

New guy intro - DRONE and my GS rig "WUMPA"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

DRONE
Posted 9/15/2011 2:44 AM (#60418)
Subject: New guy intro - DRONE and my GS rig "WUMPA"

Veteran

Bought my first rig just about a year ago.  Flew to Phoenix and drove it 1500 miles to Enumclaw so Jay could install his linear actuator (better known as electric tilt) and a darkside rear wheel.  Then I wheeled it into my garage and started personalizing it.  Between the bike and the car, I have about 70 mods over the basic stock model of each.  Here's a pic taken last Spring before the first bug got splattered on the windscreen--

What we got here is a 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure with a DMC M72D sidecar.  If WUMPA looks familiar, it's because I've been a frequent contributor to the "Hacks" section of the Adventure Riders forum this past year.  If you visit that forum, then you've probably seen my posts.  I've been lurking here on this forum since before I bought the rig, but just today decided to finally jump in and register.  So, hello there fellow sidecarists!

This summer I've logged about 6000 miles and done 4 camping trips with the rig.   I love gravel roads; I'm OK on dirt roads (but still got a lot to learn); and I liked paved twisty roads.  I avoid the slab as much as possible.  My wife is a reluctant monkee--my dog Kirby is more likely my companion.  OK, here are some more pics from before it first got dirty--

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My first camping trip was to the Chelan Sidecar Rally in Lake Chelan, WA where I made my first sidecar friend--"Boxertwin" from Boise.  Boxertwin won Best in Show, and he and I together (with him at the controls) took 2nd place in the sidecar rodeo.  Pics from Chelan--

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next trip was to the Adventure Riders Hells Canyon Rally in Enterprise, Oregon.  Discovered here that I could almost keep up with the dual sport guys on their solo bikes on rough dirt roads, which was not bad for a sidecar n00b.  Pics from the Hells Canyon trip--

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next was an 8-day trip to another Adventure Riders rally--WestFest in Darby, MT.  Logged hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel on this trip and got into some pretty remote areas.  Best trip of the summer.  Pics from the WestFest trip--

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My last camping trip was a 5-day loop to Crater Lake, OR via Hood River and Sisters.  A few of the many pics from that trip-- 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well, that's my intro post--hope you liked it!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
maxblack
Posted 9/17/2011 4:45 AM (#60440 - in reply to #60418)
Subject: RE: New guy intro - DRONE and my GS rig "WUMPA"

New User

What a fantastic looking rig, thanks for the pics.
Mary Jo
Posted 9/17/2011 7:55 AM (#60441 - in reply to #60418)
Subject: Re: New guy intro - DRONE and my GS rig "WUMPA"

Veteran

Very nice......Everything! Rig, pictures, location....all good! Welcome to the forum!
Boatzo
Posted 9/17/2011 8:18 AM (#60442 - in reply to #60418)

Regular

Welcome aboard. I sent a copy of the link to my son who has a GSA and a Great Dane, thought it would give him some inspiration.
foodog2
Posted 9/17/2011 10:31 PM (#60463 - in reply to #60442)

I have been wondering if my great dane will fit. I will not look near as cool with my daughters maltipoo in the hack.
DRONE
Posted 9/17/2011 11:54 PM (#60465 - in reply to #60418)
Subject: Re: New guy intro - DRONE and my GS rig "WUMPA"

Veteran

A couple of things about big dogs and hacks. 1st--chuck the windscreen. It just gets in the way of the dog's natural head position. Plus if you keep the screen, the dog is going to stick his head out to the side because that's what dogs do. 2nd--give the dog a nice flat platform to stand on (or sit on). I fabbed up a plywood false floor for my car to replace the seat bottom. Then I added a couple of cheap throw rugs and my dog loves it!  He doesn't have to deal with the seat cusion, and he can lie down and go to sleep if he wants.

Photobucket Photobucket

gpers2
Posted 9/18/2011 2:51 PM (#60478 - in reply to #60418)

Extreme Veteran

Great pics and rig! Thanks for posting. i enjoyed the trips.
g
lorij7
Posted 9/21/2011 12:18 PM (#60553 - in reply to #60418)

What a gorgeous location!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software