Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Sidecar FAQ -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is this 1981 yamaha worth the price??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Sidecar FAQMessage format

messeduptriple5soul
Posted 10/2/2011 10:14 PM (#60761)
Subject: is this 1981 yamaha worth the price??

I'm wondering if a 1981 yamaha Sr 500 in good running condition is worth 4000$?
I'm new to the vintage bikes and am not sure what's a good value for a bike. It has been bored from 87mm to 90mm using a JE racing piston kit. Tuned and ready to ride. It has a custom bullet fairing, brembo front break, Lockhart oil cooler, dyna coil and plasma spark wire. A real head turner bike. Not sure if the picture will load from my phone bit any feedback will be nice. Thanks guys.

(99848435_1thumb_550x410.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 99848435_1thumb_550x410.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tglide
Posted 10/2/2011 10:20 PM (#60762 - in reply to #60761)
Subject: RE: is this 1981 yamaha worth the price??

Guess I missed the part where you wrote about the sidecar attachment.
messeduptriple5soul
Posted 10/2/2011 10:29 PM (#60763 - in reply to #60761)
Subject: Re: is this 1981 yamaha worth the price??

Well I know I didn't put that in.. I'm just looking for some vintage rider thoughts on the bike. I ride lots of sport track bikes and have not a clue on vintage older bikes and the prices. I was looking at sidecar bikes and bumped into this classic bike. Not sure a decent value on it.
SidecarMike
Posted 10/2/2011 11:02 PM (#60764 - in reply to #60763)

Something like that is worth what you are willing to pay for it. I don't think you'll find a reliable price guide for something like that. Maybe these guys could help; http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
punkozuna
Posted 10/3/2011 12:17 AM (#60765 - in reply to #60761)

I used to be a big road race fan and know SR500s pretty well. Like SidecarMike says, it's what it's worth to you BUT typically SR500s go for a lot less. The cost to make one yourself from a stock SR500 is not much. Even a mint stock one probably wouldn't command a $4000 price. There are two on Ebay now at the $1000 price point. Frankly a good stocker should go for more than a clapped out cafe bike (though they are cool and good fun).

What are you looking for in a classic bike? Stock? Cafe racer? Vintage racing? Bobber?
messeduptriple5soul
Posted 10/3/2011 12:36 AM (#60767 - in reply to #60761)

I guess I don't know... I like this style of bike. I like those bikes also that the rider sits more crunched on the bike and the bars seem forward and lower. What kind of bikes are those called? I seen a guy on one this summer and thought that was a smoking cool bike. I enjoy this style of bike though..the vintage sorta look. Thanks for your insight on the price though. I guess ill see if he will go down on price then. I wasn't gonna pay asking price like usual but I wanted to know what some thought. I'm not looking to spend 8-12 grand on a real classic bike but I would like to stick around the 5 range. Is that possible and what's a good site to find race bikes or vintage bikes like that?? Thanks again
punkozuna
Posted 10/3/2011 9:17 AM (#60774 - in reply to #60761)

Rather than re-write my reply in the other thread from the classifieds section: http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9757&posts=5&s...

As far as sites to buy cafe racers from - I see some on CL around here (Pacific Northwest). Hipsters in Seattle and Portland like them enough that they show up fairly often.
Ebay will have some.

OTOH cafe bikes are like choppers - you can buy somebody's creation BUT the bike isn't really your own unless you build it yourself. You get max street cred points for DIY too. The good thing is that they are simple and cheap to build. Start with a GOOD RUNNING donor bike that suits your fancy. Add a set of clubman handle bars (about $25), get some rear set foot pegs ($300-500 or better yet - $50 DIY), an aftermarket sport exhaust (maybe as simple as a reverse megaphone slip on muffler and some heat wrap exhaust tape), some sporty tires and (maybe) a bikini fairing and viola' - cafe racer. Then -if you want to go further- paint, seat fairing, engine and brake uprades, change sprockets for more acceleration etc. etc. IMO cafe racers should be like bobbers - homemade and not too fancy. They are similar to bobbers in that they were started by post WW2 riders (in England mostly) trying to customize their bikes (with road racing style performance in this case) and were built DIY by kids with out a lot of money. Too polished misses the point for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_racer

Edited by punkozuna 10/3/2011 9:34 AM
crawf
Posted 10/3/2011 1:17 PM (#60794 - in reply to #60761)
Subject: RE: is this 1981 yamaha worth the price??

as mentioned earlier, it's worth what they\ll pay,..however, up here, a prestine SR500 sold at the vintage bike gathering for over $8000.00, with a matched Rickman and perfect chrome,..that unit pictured looks like an ol track rat from the sunday afternoon old man laps with lights,...someone may pay that, but you'll have to find him,..nice ride, good luck, crawf.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software