Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> On the road with ... -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Its not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Razorback rally
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> On the road with ...Message format

smith8833
Posted 10/12/2011 12:10 PM (#60961)
Subject: Razorback rally

Since I haven't found any other reports from this weekend and it is raining! I guess I will give it a go!

Our rig is a 2007 Sportster with a Claude Stanley hack! My wife the Navigator and I have covered alot of miles this year, with groups and solo rides but this was our first sidecar event.

We left on Friday morning from Mountain View AR, aiming for Arkadelphia AR, The route was hwy66 west, US hwy65 south to hwy9 south, then hwy5 east to hwy 67. Then just follw the directions given for the event.
The fall leaves were just starting to turn and I thought as we left the house, we might have a good show along the way. The morning weather was perfect not cool not warm and the air actually felt soft. US hwy65 is ok with some good vitas but not alot of fun! Turning onto hwy9 has mostly swepers and one tight curve, if you ignore the occasional semi (cuts miles off thier path) it has the feel of a country lane. We talked little on the first part of this trip, these are roads known to us so we just took it all in. South of Morrilton hwy9 is all new to us and the senery changes to mostly pine forest, looking alot like the high mountains of New Mexico. We arrived in Caddo Valley which is a cross roads town with hotels, gas and food and our base for the weekend. The rally site is only a few miles away.

Elmer was our host and a great and gracious host he is!! We arrived at his house finding several rigs already there and more arriving every few minutes. Swampfox, who I had been emailing arrived on his Sportster, along with his wife and their Corky. At this point, I will appologize for not listing everyone we met. With a terrible memory and not sure if anyone wants their first name used.... Lets just say, in the end there were around 30 bikes with 5 or 6 being just two wheels. Friday was BSing and tire kicking and ride this, Is it right? How's that work for you? With chile and hotdogs to top it all off!
Saturday was a breakfast ride winding around on roads and to places I don't know. We ended at a local country store/dinner, Elmer swears he tried to call and warn them, but I think he didn't want them to close. We took over all but two tables and the two young waitress were very wide eyed. They did a great job and served a good breakfast with no known complaints. We did alot more BSing and enjoyed the food and company! We were free until 2pm for the sidecar games. So most of us followed Swampfox down to the Caddo lake and to a custom car show, that just happened to be there. Around 2 everyone gathered back at Elmers for the Games. Being our first event, we were volunteered to go first. After several events and histerical laughter from the Navigator, my wife. We discovered women need to use their hands for giving directions. And driving with a blinfold on is really strange, even hard to tell if your moving. I believe for our first time we gave a pretty good showing/performance of our selves! We then had more BSing and checking of bikes with a few repairs (mostly to Urals). A VERY good BBQ dinner was catered in Pictures were taking and we settled in for the awards, batteling the giant mosquitoes for a place to sit. We had a 50/50 drawing and the winner graciously donated their prtion back to the local charity, not to be out done everyone else chiped in and we ended with a $500 dollar donation outstanding for such a small group! As it was now after dark the group quickly broke up and headed out.
Elmer had invited everyone out on Sunday for coffee and donuts but only a few arrived, most wanting to get a good start on the return trip.

We headed up to Hot Springs which is a interesting town and ended up spending around 3hrs there. Hwy 7 north of there goes through the national forest and is a great ride.

I will end this ride report because the lightening is getting bad and the thunder is rolling. I had one computer fried this way and need to save this one!

It Was a great weekend and thanks to everyone for taking in us new guys and making us feel at home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SwampFox
Posted 10/12/2011 11:47 PM (#60970 - in reply to #60961)
Subject: RE: Razorback rally

Thanks for getting us started. Jena & I left out Friday morning and met up with oldtimer, Tahobiker & BeemerBob for lunch in Prescott, AR. Well, it was supposed to be Mexican restaurant downtown, but, true to my pattern, it was closed up. But the Railroad Cafe was certainly better, being the old restaurant from a closed down hotel that was likely in its prime in the 1920's. Now how did I fail to take pics of the cafe'? Oh yeah, texts and voice mails from the office. Surprised

On the way to Elmer's we stopped off at the 1920's one-lane bridge over the North Boat Ditch of the Terra Noire River in Clark County, where Tahobiker hi-centered his touring rig while trying to dodge a flat-inducing nail.  Embarassed  But BeemerBob on his Ural, and Jena on her scooter rig made it just fine.  Cool We all helped Tahobiker out after a good Laughing.

(Razorback Rally 2011 006.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 001.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 006.jpg (155KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 001.jpg (166KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 014.jpg (175KB - 1 downloads)
SwampFox
Posted 10/12/2011 11:52 PM (#60971 - in reply to #60961)

I just realized we didn't take many pics, but the "official USCA photographer" was there taking lots of "official" pics we can expect to see later.

Here are a couple of pics of rally central; that is, Elmer's shop, and the group pic of the various rigs. And also the brand new Star 1100/Hannigan Classic on it's maiden voyage from KY to TX, via trailer.

(Razorback Rally 2011 032.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 012.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 043.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 032.jpg (225KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 012.jpg (103KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 043.jpg (254KB - 0 downloads)
SwampFox
Posted 10/13/2011 12:03 AM (#60972 - in reply to #60961)

Here are pics of parking lot "fellowship" after breakfast, after which about 1/2 of us traveled over the DeGray Lake State Park for the street-rod rally. The black rod with trailer crafted from a Cushman Truckster pick-up bed was for sale -- mighty nice, but I'll stick with my rig.

The last pic is of Smith8833 and the Navigator, to whom congratulations are due for winning their first sidecar game, the Miss Piggy Toss -- even after we made 'em go first.

(Razorback Rally 2011 026.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 010.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 008.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 011.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 026.jpg (214KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 010.jpg (146KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 008.jpg (146KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 011.jpg (155KB - 0 downloads)
SwampFox
Posted 10/13/2011 12:16 AM (#60973 - in reply to #60961)

Seems most on-lookers presumed Schdodja's (one of the Soviet Steed fellows) Ural rig was older than the truck advertising the restaurant.

Little Corkie was kinda wind-blown after we arrived back at the rally site.

We traveled 1/2 way home with Marcus and Slim on their trikes -- again, forget to take pics -- but Slim & I enjoyed comparing notes re: 883 Sportsters over lunch at the Stamps Cafe'. We split up in downtown Doddridge AR on way home.

(Razorback Rally 2011 028.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 018.jpg)

(Stamps.Cafe. 008.jpg)

(Razorback Rally 2011 019.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 028.jpg (285KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 018.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Stamps.Cafe. 008.jpg (90KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Razorback Rally 2011 019.jpg (164KB - 0 downloads)
SwampFox
Posted 10/14/2011 8:02 AM (#60989 - in reply to #60961)

BeemerBob has posted up his trip report and pictures at:

http://beemerbob.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/2011-10-lyekka-finds-dirt-in-arkansas/

Classic: ... I also learned that one should wait until you are completely through the obstacle before yellingYeeehaaa” .... Surprised  (You'll understand after watching short video clip.)

Sorry, I can't make Bob's site "clickable" for some reason, but you can "cut & paste."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software