Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A friend will bail you out of jail. A real friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was FUN!"

steering damper/stabilizer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Ktimes3
Posted 7/3/2004 10:25 PM (#3996)
Subject: steering damper/stabilizer

I'm looking for photos and info. regarding steering stabilizer installation.I am considering adding one and am pretty handy,so I thought I might get some insight before jumping into it.I was told a VW stabilizer is the cheapest/easiest-don't want to argue those qualities!My bike is a Yamaha and the 'car is a Velorex 562 (standard forks on the bike).How and where do I attach a stabilizer and what easy and cheap items do I need.Cheap is good (my wife is not too keen on the money that keeps flowing towards my hack,while her priorities aren't seeing the same).Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 7/3/2004 10:55 PM (#3997 - in reply to #3996)
Subject: RE: steering damper/stabilizer

I have a 1993 Yamaha xj600 seca 2 set up with a russian Sputnic sidecar and it has the setup your looking for I think I will send you some photo's ot the steering damper/stabilizer you looking for info on
email me your email addy and I will send you some photo's of what your asking about.
Rob & Connie
Surrey, British Columbia
Hack'n
Posted 7/4/2004 2:58 PM (#4002 - in reply to #3996)

Expert

Go to Sidecar Industry Council. In the tech heading there are illustrations of inexpensive damper installation.
Renku1
Posted 7/9/2004 10:03 PM (#4061 - in reply to #3996)

Ok, I give up!The illustrations for the steering damper installation at the Sidecar Industry site clearly show the bushing end ridgedly mounted to either the subframe or chassis to chair front strut by way of a frame clamp and the strut end mounted below the fender on a heim joint. I see the heim doing its job but how do the forks swing through an arc when that bushing end can not turn side to side? I can minimize it by setting the bushing perpindicular to the ground at the center of the arc but that still leaves about an 1/8" of twist when you turn the wheel.
What am I missing/overlooking?
Thanks,
Kurt
Hack'n
Posted 7/10/2004 11:44 AM (#4066 - in reply to #4061)

Expert

Kurt,
Try it, it works. Aerodynamicly bees and flys can't fly either, but they do.
Set up the damper at a 90 degree angle from the front fork at your normal loaded heigth and you're good to go.
claude #3563
Posted 7/11/2004 3:48 PM (#4078 - in reply to #4066)

Expert

If a dampner is to be mounted on the lower part of the forks, the part that moves up and down, it is important that it can move without binding with the fork and also with steering input taking place. It can be done but be careful in mounting it. I prefer to mount them up on the triple tree area if at all possible so the onbly real motion is from side to side when steering takes place. Even then it is imperitive that there is not chance of the thing going 'over center' so to speak which can create a real saftey issue.
Are you sure you need a dampner? Many times they are installed and not really needed. Tighten steering head bearings, play with air pressure and check for slop in the swing arm etc first.
Yes, many rigs do have a wobble at slow speeds but typically this can be easily controlled to the point of not being noticable after a while.
Ktimes3
Posted 7/11/2004 8:14 PM (#4079 - in reply to #3996)

please explain the 'over center' theory.You make alot of sense in wanting the mount on the fixed portion of the fork.I just wasn't clear on what you meant about over center.Thanks for the great info.
claude #3563
Posted 7/11/2004 9:21 PM (#4080 - in reply to #4079)

Expert

'Over center'? I don't know how to explain it properly but basically it means to make sure that when the forks are turned all the way in each direction the mounts(pivot points) for the dampner do not get 'maxed out'...or...uh...make sure the pivot points do not bind up..or...make sure that the mounting points (pivot points) do not get into a place where the shaft of the dampner is inline with the pivot point or past the side of the pivot point it began on.
Whew...Like I said I don't know if this makes sense or not...maybe someone reading this can explain it better.
stacebg
Posted 7/11/2004 11:44 PM (#4082 - in reply to #3996)

generally speaking the short throw of the vw damper makes for a lot of trial and error
but usually can be made to work (mounted more than i care to count)
usually a 2 pc clamp that will go around the right fork tube with a bracket welded to the clamp and a hole as close to the fork tube as possible but still be able to mount the rod end of the damper

then the fat end of damper gets fastend to the front uper mount so that the damper is at 90 degrees to the fork tube horizonally

does that make any sence at all??

stacy

Its a vicious cycle LLC

formerly Better n Most LLc

east windsor ct 06088
Renku1
Posted 7/12/2004 5:31 AM (#4086 - in reply to #4078)

Not looking to beat a horse to death but this is the rig I use when the Mrs. is with me so I'd like to err on the side of caution or not at all.
I have been over everything I can think of from steering head to removing the trunk mounted out back and I still have the need for 2 hands up to 35mph. If it was just the low speed thing I could easily live with it rather than go through this mounting a damper thing but even though she is smooth as silk from 40 up to an indicated 70 (optamistic BMW speedo) hard edged bumps create a shimmy if the front wheel is forced up off the pavement. Especially if in a turn at the time.
Most dampers I have seen run from the front upper strut to the forks but this damper is so short I can't do that unless I mount it to the upper, threaded protion of the strut. That leaves the subframe just below where the strut connects to it as one possible location. Or, I could run from the side of the frame that runs under the sidecar across to the forks. Either way I was thinking of connecting my heim joint by running a bolt through the rearmost fenderbrace mounting hole and eliminating the need for a seperate bracket. It is a Velorex 700S/R75/6 combo if that enters into it at all. Sorry to be so long winded but this sidecar thing is a lot of fun and I am trying not to get over enthusiastic out on the roads without first being prepared.
Thanks ,
Kurt
Hack'n
Posted 7/12/2004 3:52 PM (#4090 - in reply to #4086)

Expert

Kurt,
I have one sidecar steering damper left that is 17 3/4" long compressed with an 8" stroke. It has 3/8" heim joints on each end. The price is $100.00

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software